'I think one day you'll find that you're the hero you've been looking for.'
- Wylie Burp, An American Tail: Fievel Goes West
A friend of mine used this quote as her Facebook status recently and I was completely struck by it. I'd never thought of such an idea before and perhaps if I had read it a few odd years ago, I might have dismissed it, refusing to take in the deeper meaning of such a simple statement.
However, times have changed and I'd like to think, so have I!
How many times have you (and I) complained about global warming and how they are set to destroy the Earth as we know it?
How many times have we muttered irately about the state of our country and how they know nothing of running a nation?
How many times have we ridiculed and derided world leaders because they are making world peace an impractical fantasy?
'Be the change you want to see in the world' said Mahatma Gandhi. You and I both know he was right, as was Wylie Burp.
We expect things to change. We expect someone else to take the blame and correct the situation for us. We expect so much of other people when really we are the ones who can (and should) make a difference.
Using a simple personality-revealing example: I love to plan. Even if I don't end up following the plans I make, its the actual process of writing down what, how and when I want something done that gives me a giddy rush of adrenaline. So if there is an event coming up and I'm part of a group planning it, if I want to see my ideas come to life, I am the only one who can accomplish that. Because: a) I am the only one who knows exactly what I want; and b) since I want it done so badly, I have that drive and enthusiasm to see it through.
A little change here and a little change there could make all the difference. We could pick up someone else's trash on the road or not waste water or even just smile at someone and wish them a good day.
You never know...you could be preventing someone from slipping on a banana peel and spraining their back or someone in a dry part of the world may be using that 'extra' volume of water you decided not to use or the person you smiled at may have been lonely and depressed but you may have made their day!
I don't expect to be rewarded everytime I do something 'heroic' and in fact there may be times when I will fail to see the point of it. But of course there must be a point or at least I could do it for selfish reasons: endorphins and happy feelings galore for each good deed!
Till next time,
Jo
No comments:
Post a Comment