Having two sisters, I believe I have come to know the different stages of sisterhood one passes through as the years go by. Each process is slightly different depending on the specific relationship and here I would like to share the one that my younger sister and I follow(ed).
Note: The following is from my point of view.
Stage one: Indifference
Note: The following is from my point of view.
Stage one: Indifference
Mummy has given birth to a baby girl. Oh I'm sure it doesn't make a difference to me, anyway. Why should that new thing change the lifestyle I so enjoyed for the past 3 years? And most importantly, how could it? Ha! Its impossible of course.
Boy, was I wrong!
Boy, was I wrong!
Stage two: Jealousy
Why does Mummy keep hovering around that thing? Hmm...let me take a look at what the fuss is all about. Oh, it does look kinda cute. Hmm, look at those pink cheeks. Let me just pinch them a little. Ooooh, soft like fresh playdough! Huh, why is it bawling? Uh oh, Mummy is here. I better get outta h---oh too late.
Why are you shouting at me Mummy? *sniff* *sniff*
Wait, wait, why are you giving her my toy? Look, if you're mad at me, keep on yelling. Just don't give her my stuff. Oh great, she destroyed it! Make her stop! Make her stopppp!
Stage three: War
I spend most of my play time devising new plans to get her in trouble but why do the parents always end up yelling at me? Oh yeah, I know why, she keeps crying when they are anywhere within ear shot, the sneaky little thing! And to add to that, she keeps imitating me. Why does she do that? Grrrr.
This means WAR, sister!
Stage four: Revelation
Is it possible that she imitates me because she actually admires me? No other explanation seems to satisfy my ego. And anyway, she couldn't possibly be as smart as me at making war plans. Everything's got to be luck with her.....surely?
Stage five: I Rule!
Ahhh, so much better. She actually listens to me! This is so cool! Now if only I can somehow refrain from conking her on the head with this or that, she won't cry her eyes out and I'll be fine.
Stage six: Becoming friends
Years go by and we talk like friends. We've got our own little world that includes our books, games and sneakily-yet-legally getting money from our parents. An exhibition with an entry charge, a magazine at a cost, top class beauty treatment for the wife as long as the husband pays the bill...yes, this is the life!
Stage seven: Staying friends (and a bit of role reversal)
Onto the present now, things have changed a little. She's the boss of course and I try to listen as obediently as I can. Its not easy. I have no idea how she made it seem so all those years ago. Talent I guess!
All I can say is, through these years, she has been one heck of a sister. I thought she came into this world with a secret agenda, which she probably did except I misinterpreted it completely. She came to make me a better person, I see that now. Its hard to admit for an egomaniac like me but I have learnt and continue to learn a lot from her. I can only hope to be just a little like her, opening her heart to one and all, as we were all meant to (ref: the Bible).
To JJC: Thank you for being you and for putting up with me all these years. I'm sorry for ever taking you for granted and for all those times I hurt you; please know that I didn't mean it.
I love you.
I pray to God that you will be happy and brave and that you will always be who you were meant to be: a kind, loving, generous angel. I know of no one else in this world who deserves to be called one and this is not my bias speaking! I'm sure your many, many friends will agree because they all see what I have been blessed to see through the years and even now.
Happy birthday!
Love,
me :)
Why are you shouting at me Mummy? *sniff* *sniff*
Wait, wait, why are you giving her my toy? Look, if you're mad at me, keep on yelling. Just don't give her my stuff. Oh great, she destroyed it! Make her stop! Make her stopppp!
Stage three: War
I spend most of my play time devising new plans to get her in trouble but why do the parents always end up yelling at me? Oh yeah, I know why, she keeps crying when they are anywhere within ear shot, the sneaky little thing! And to add to that, she keeps imitating me. Why does she do that? Grrrr.
This means WAR, sister!
Stage four: Revelation
Is it possible that she imitates me because she actually admires me? No other explanation seems to satisfy my ego. And anyway, she couldn't possibly be as smart as me at making war plans. Everything's got to be luck with her.....surely?
Stage five: I Rule!
Ahhh, so much better. She actually listens to me! This is so cool! Now if only I can somehow refrain from conking her on the head with this or that, she won't cry her eyes out and I'll be fine.
Stage six: Becoming friends
Years go by and we talk like friends. We've got our own little world that includes our books, games and sneakily-yet-legally getting money from our parents. An exhibition with an entry charge, a magazine at a cost, top class beauty treatment for the wife as long as the husband pays the bill...yes, this is the life!
Stage seven: Staying friends (and a bit of role reversal)
Onto the present now, things have changed a little. She's the boss of course and I try to listen as obediently as I can. Its not easy. I have no idea how she made it seem so all those years ago. Talent I guess!
All I can say is, through these years, she has been one heck of a sister. I thought she came into this world with a secret agenda, which she probably did except I misinterpreted it completely. She came to make me a better person, I see that now. Its hard to admit for an egomaniac like me but I have learnt and continue to learn a lot from her. I can only hope to be just a little like her, opening her heart to one and all, as we were all meant to (ref: the Bible).
To JJC: Thank you for being you and for putting up with me all these years. I'm sorry for ever taking you for granted and for all those times I hurt you; please know that I didn't mean it.
I love you.
I pray to God that you will be happy and brave and that you will always be who you were meant to be: a kind, loving, generous angel. I know of no one else in this world who deserves to be called one and this is not my bias speaking! I'm sure your many, many friends will agree because they all see what I have been blessed to see through the years and even now.
Happy birthday!
Love,
me :)
No comments:
Post a Comment