Sometimes, when an advert is going on during Shark or C.S.I., I tend to switch to a news channel, not really expecting to see anything significant; just some more on the ongoing financial crisis.
So on the 26th of November, 2008, when I saw on NDTV 24x7 that some terrorists had attacked Mumbai, I didn't think for a minute that it would last about 60 hours and that more than 100 innocent people would lose their lives.
'It's another one of those home grown blasts' I thought with disgust. And then slowly it started dawning on me that this time it was different. The terrorists were using guns and hand grenades and they were holding people hostage at five- or seven-star hotels and other places. It was not one of those throw a bomb-and-run cases; this time there were staying.
There were so many aspects that were different from previous terror attacks that it took me a while to process the whole thing! Guns? Hostages? At the Taj???
The whole thing seemed unreal. How did those terrorists get inside the Taj and the Oberoi-Trident with those explosives and guns? How could all this happen?
Over the next two days, my family and I watched with horror hoping that the police, army and NSG would stop the terrorists and save the hostages. Finally, on the 29th of November, it all ended.
But did it really end? Not really. Even now Indians are afraid, angry and insecure.
The worst part is that some terrorists are still on the loose in Mumbai! How can any normal human being sleep peacefully at night knowing that terrorists are still around and that they could start firing anywhere again- maybe this time at someone's workplace or a school?
What can India do now? Well, it's really simple in theory: stop wasting time with stupid, childish political games and start taking action. Today, all I see in the news is how this politician said something inappropriate and how that one behaved erratically.
I just hope that the brave souls who put their lives in danger for our safety didn't do so in vain and that something will be done soon! How much longer can we just sit back and complain? Not too long, certainly. This is War now. A War against Terrorism. No one has the right to instil fear in our hearts! And we must not allow it.
Enough is enough!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please pray for all the innocent people who lost their lives during this heinous terror attack.
May their souls rest in peace.
======================================================
Everything you need to know about the terror attacks in Mumbai can be found here (source: NDTV).
The Vows So Dear
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment